Monday, February 24, 2014

Indentions in my Heart

On a drive home from Myrtle Beach many years ago, my youngest daughter Sarah, asked if she could wear my necklace; it was a “puffy heart” given to me by my husband for Valentine’s Day.  She didn’t wear it long and returned it.  As I was driving, I reached up to hold the heart.  My fingers rubbed across the surface and I noticed that it felt a little different.  Where it had once felt smooth, it now felt lumpy.  When I was able to do an inspection I realized the lumps were caused by Sarah’s teeth.  I guess she must have been doing a hardness test and when it proved not to be too hard she gave it back, probably hoping it would go unnoticed.

Isn't that the way our battered and broken hearts are.  
We all carry scars of some sort or another. 
What makes the difference how we respond to the brokenness.

 As much as I loved the smooth shiny puffy heart, I wouldn't trade the visible scars it carries for anything.  Strange that with its flaws and imperfections it means more now than when it was smooth and shiny.


One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 4:23…
 “Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”  



We can’t keep our hearts from being broken, but we are the ones who have to make the choice on how to handle the after effects. 



We can hold bitterness and resentment against the ones who inflicted the scars, or we can surrender the hurt to our sweet Savior and let Him do what only He can.  He can turn them into precious treasures.  It's only  through His grace that allows us to turn the broken things into beautiful things.

And wouldn't you know there's a song that says just that!

0 comments: